Simona Mola, author of the report, SEC Cryptocurrency Enforcement—Q3 2013–Q4 2020, joins Abe Chernin to discuss the report’s findings and current updates in regulatory enforcement of cryptocurrency, including:
- The number and type of cryptocurrency-related allegations brought by the SEC
- How the SEC became one of the main regulators in the cryptocurrency space
- The SEC’s enforcement approach to cryptocurrency-related actions
- The SEC’s priorities under the Biden administration
Elaine Harwood and Alison Forman, coauthors of the report, Accounting and Auditing Enforcement Activity—2019 Review and Analysis, join Laura Simmons to discuss their recent findings, including:
- The overall level of enforcement activity during 2019, which saw a decrease in SEC actions but an increase in PCAOB actions.
- The increased number of enforcement actions involving announcements of restatements or material weaknesses in internal controls.
- Trends in enforcement actions brought against non-U.S. respondents at the SEC and PCAOB.
- The most common allegation types brought by the SEC and PCAOB.
- Settlement activity at the SEC and PCAOB, including an increase in the median settlement amount in 2019 at both agencies.
Laura Simmons and Laarni Bulan, coauthors of the report, Securities Class Action Settlements—2019 Review and Analysis, join David Marcus to discuss their findings, including:
- Key drivers that led to higher median settlement amounts.
- Important determinants of settlement outcomes.
- Settlements in the pharmaceutical sector.